2016 has been a great year for books. The over-riding theme for the year was “read, review and recycle,” (by recycle, I mean donating to charity or giving away to friends and family). The reason for this: I have finally realised I have an addiction to books; when you have bookshelves in front of bookshelves and piles of books on each step of the stairs, you know you have a problem…That’s not to say that every book I read and review was removed from the house, only the books I couldn’t imagine reading again. It’s a start at least, and something I will carry with me into 2017.
I’m once again surprised that I only read and reviewed 56 stories / books this year, exactly the same as last year, which I am more than a little disappointed with. Next year I am determined to have written at least 57 reviews. However, my Goodreads reading challenge only reckons I’ve read 8, but then my goal was 72. One of my New Year’s resolutions is to get to grips with updating Goodreads on a regularly basis, something I have failed to do since I signed up there years ago…
A Few Highlights
- Getting a signed paperback copy of Vastian Lore by S.C. Gregory from the author via a giveaway on her blog.
- Receiving a paperback copy of The Devil’s Chalice by D.K. Wilson from the publisher.
Top Ten Favourite Reads of 2016
This is how my top ten list stands at the end of the year:
- The Ambassadors’ Mission (Trudi Canavan)
- One Corpse Too Many (Ellis Peters)
- The Devil’s Chalice (D.K. Wilson)
- Venus in Copper (Lindsey Davis)
- The Raven’s Head (Karen Maitland)
- A Clash of Kings (George R. R. Martin)
- Just Breathe (Sarah Doughty)
- Glass Houses (Rachel Caine)
- The Woman in Black (Susan Hill)
- Death of a Cad (M.C. Beaton)
Indie Only Month 2016:
- Real Lies by Liana Brooks (short story)
- The Dragon Maker by Elizabeth Baxter (short story)
- Just Breathe by Sarah Doughty
- Focus by Sarah Doughty
- Vastian Lore by S.C. Gregory (novella)
- Shattered Promises by Jessica Sorensen
My favourites were “Just Breathe” and “Vastian Lore” – I adored them both.
Historical Fiction Month 2016:
- Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
- The Devil’s Chalice by D.K. Wilson
- Cleopatra’s Heir by Gillian Bradshaw
- The Raven’s Head by Karen Maitland
- Venus in Copper by Lindsey Davis
- Dissolution by C.J. Sansom
- Rome: The Emperor’s Spy by M.C. Scott
My favourites were “The Devil’s Chalice” and “Venus in Copper”, closely followed by “The Raven’s Head” and “Dissolution”.
Festive Reads Fortnight 2016:
- Jingle Spells, edited by Heather Marie Adkins (part 1)
- Jingle Spells, edited by Heather Marie Adkins (part 2)
- A Dangerous Nativity by Caroline Warfield
- A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
So that is my year in books summarised. I hope you all had a great 2016, and wishing you a 2017 filled with good books!